Planning on getting LASIK? Before you place the trust in someone to perform this life-changing procedure for you, it’s important to make sure that you are informed. Here are 12 important questions you should ask before getting LASIK. These are useful questions you can ask your surgeon about the procedure, coverage, complications, recovery and more.
- What is included in the cost of my procedure?
- Is this price based upon the type of laser vision correction procedure my surgeon and I have decided? Is it best for my current vision and lifestyle?
- Are there any additional costs not included in the price of the procedure that I might not be thinking of?
- Does the price cover the cost of the procedure for both my eyes?
- Can my insurance reduce the cost of my procedure?
- Is my surgeon in-network for my medical insurance or vision insurance plan?
- Are there any prescription medications I may need that aren’t included in the cost of the procedure?
- If I need a LASIK enhancement, is that included in the price?
- What if I have a complication after LASIK? How are the costs of the follow-up visits and additional treatment handled?
- How much would temporary contact lenses or glasses after the procedure cost if I need them?
- What if I need additional follow-up visits during recovery from LASIK? How much should I expect to pay for each of those visits?
- May I have a written and itemized quote that includes all of the costs associated with my procedure?
Understanding the benefits and risks of this procedure is just as important as understanding the costs associated. It is best to have a clear understanding of what is (and is not) included in the LASIK procedure before you make your decision. Knowing what questions to ask before LASIK can help you get the information you need to properly make your decision. A reputable LASIK practice should have no problem answering your questions thoughtfully and with respect for your needs. If you find that is not the case, you may want to consider finding a different LASIK surgeon to work with to achieve the clear vision that you deserve.